Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Woman in White

I just finished reading the First Epoch of Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White. All of the characters are very interesting, so here's my take on them.




Walter Hartright: First of all, what is the author trying to tell us about this character by naming him Mr. Hartright? Hmmm....maybe that his "heart" is in the "right" place? So far it seems like he is the "good guy." Actually I really like Mr. Hartright, except that he falls in love so quickly with Laura. I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic, I just think its too fast.

Pesca: I found his character to be very funny. I think Collins wanted his readers to have someone they didn't exactly have to take seriously. He seems to be the "comic relief" even though he's only brought up in the first two chapters or so.

Sarah Hartright (?): Well, on the surface I think she's really rude. However, there's something about Sarah that I like. She seems rational, even though she's not a fan of Pesca. After reading the first Epoch, it seems like the men who have the ability to make everyone like them, are the men that one should be weary of. Pesca, for the most part has the ability to make a lot of people like him, yet Sarah is cautious of him.

[side note] From what I have heard in another one of my classes, anytime a tea cup breaks, the author is trying to tell us that someone has lost his/her virginity. How interesting! Pesca breaks a teacup at the very beginning of the novel and Sarah picks it up. Maybe they have a secret relationship and her scorn for him is her way of covering up their affair :) Just a thought.

Marian Halcombe: She is described as being very masculine, not only in her features but also in her actions. By this point in the novel, I really don't want Laura to be with her husband anymore, but I also don't exactly want her to be with Mr. Hartright. I wonder if Collins makes Marian so masculine because in the end she is who Laura ends up "being with."

Laura Fairlie: Honestly, I can't help but take a 21st century view of her and feel a little anger towards the fact that she won't stand up for herself and not marry Sir Percival Glyde. I know that during that time it wouldn't have been "proper" for her to disobey her father's last dying wish. I think she is the type of character who just lets things happen to her and doesn't take control. Laura reminds me of Angela Carter's female character in "The Bloody Chamber."

Mr. Fairlie: Probably the most obnoxious character so far! I really dislike this man. It seems like there is nothing wrong with him. Although, I wonder if there is something in the fact that he will never leave his room. Is he hiding from someone? Is there something he knows that he is afraid to tell? Does it have something to do with that mysterious woman in white?

Anne Catherick: I never would have guessed, from the first meeting of her, that she would have escaped an asylum. She reminds me of the "mad woman in the attic," even though she doesn't seem particularly mad. Maybe she is a bit off, worshiping Mrs. Fairlie the way that she does. I wish she would just tell Mr. Hartright and Marian what Sir Percival Glyde has done to her!

Sir Percival Glyde I don't trust him. Of course, Collins wants it that way. I think he wants Laura's money. I also think he has killed someone. And I also think he gave Marian a fake address when he told her to write to Mrs. Catherick. I bet he wrote the letter that Marian got back from her. He is just pure evil!

Mr. Gilmore: At first I didn't like Mr. Gilmore. I was very upset when he told Sir Percival Glyde's lawyer about the letter that Laura received describing Percival. I think that may have been the one act that could have prevented a lot of bad things. If Percival had enough time to come up with a strategy to throw off everyone's suspicions, then it was because of the letter Mr. Gilmore wrote to Percival lawyer. Granted, now that I know a little more about him, I actually think he means well and I also think he doesn't trust Percival. Anyone who doesn't trust Percival is okay in my book!

I think that's everyone. Every major character at least. I haven't exactly formed any strong opinions about Mrs. Vesey or Mr. Hartright's mother...maybe later.


:)




[Victorian Literature]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...